One bias that I have which was not easy to recognize was my affection for the "good kids". This affection is, I just recently noticed, connected to the idea that they will not need as much of my attention. This may be true for classroom management but not in their learning. Either way I realize this bias could get me in trouble. First all students want to know that their teacher is fair and can create a safe learning environment whether or not they have behavior issues or not. Second all students need to have individual attention whether they are a "bad kid" or "good kid". Finally I need to not label a student in my mind as good or bad or let outside opinions and information influence my idea of who a person is. Because no matter what, if a student is good or bad, it is only one aspect of the whole and will never give me a complete picture of who the student is as a person.
It seems I need to remove judgement of my students. Is this possible? Can I only remove the social aspect (behavior) and not the academic (grades) or both? Can I assess/evaluate my students in academia and behavior without being judgmental?
No comments:
Post a Comment